Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A New Bedfellow

Bill is out of town for the week, working in Winnemucca. I am home alone, or so I thought until last night when I realized someone else was in bed with me! It was exactly 2:10 am when I felt someone brush against my right arm. I screamed loudly, jumped out of bed, flipped on the light switch, reached for my glasses and turned to face the bed.

The covers were up so I gingerly pulled them back, expecting to see a flurry of movement as the intruder sought refuge. Well, he didn't move at all but sat staring at me with little beady eyes and a bald head. He was big, at least two inches long, and how he ever managed to find me will forever be a mystery.

The Jerusalem Cricket stared up at me, wondering what all the fuss was about. After all, Bill was gone and there was plenty of room in the bed for the two of us. I, however, had a different take on the situation and decided that he had to go. I retrieved a plastic container with lid from the kitchen and scooped up the invader so I could get a better look in the morning. Then I unfolded the bedding and examined everything carefully before climbing back into bed.

Living in the desert has its challenges and far too many encounters with insects and spiders determined to survive. Scorpions are frequent party crashers, trying every way they can to find refuge inside our home, away from the elements. There are also various spiders looking for dark corners. The Jerusalem cricket, I've seen outdoors but this was the first time one has ventured in. Yikes!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ugh. What a photo! Your post reminds me of this experience:
http://scottandkyna.blogspot.com/2006/05/house-guest.html