Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Buried Alive!!

I'm afraid the paper is getting the very best of me. What to keep...what to toss??? The piles of paper tower over me and I am constantly moving them from one location to another. "I need to get organized!" I cry out. But day-by-day I learn to adjust and accept the papers as part of my home decorating scheme.

If the paper towers weren't enough, we needed to add a little remodeling project into the mix. Beginning the day after Thanksgiving, we brought cabinets into our home to replace the dilapidated, poor excuse for a cabinet, that we struggled with every day. The new cabinets had a superior attitude about them as they watched the old cabinets being yanked from the wall, their contents spilling like guts into boxes and piles on the living room floor. Then the fun began.

The drainpipe, winding its way under our home to the septic tank developed a leak. Bill repaired it. Somehow air got trapped in the pipe and as I washed clothes the water in the toilet acted like Old Faithful, shooting up a geyser of water above the lid! We really don't know who fixed that problem, but after several days of securing the toilet lid down, the problem went away.

Then we had problems with the cupboards. The vent pipe, in the corner of the kitchen, prevented us from placing the upper corner cabinet flush against the wall. We had to flare out the cupboard using thin pieces of shim. This meant that every cupboard required that treatment. When Bill opened the box for the pantry, wrong pantry! Back to Reno to exchange it for the right one.

To list all of the challenges would make me feel exhausted but they involved electricity, going to the hardware store, replacing plumbing, drilling holes in cabinets, going back to the hardware store, chiseling the floor, going to the hardware store and returning materials and purchase more "stuff" and so on. For some reason the towers of paper look more appealing.

Since November, I've been buried alive in my own home, wondering if I'll ever be missed.

No comments: