Pages

Monday, July 23, 2007

Dylan's Unquilt


Dylan graduated from the University of Nevada, Reno with a degree in biochemistry in four years. What a great job he did and with honors too!! I wanted to make him a quilt but he said that he would want one that looked like I didn't know what I was doing. Now what is this about???!!!%$@?? He didn't want sharp points, flying geese, nine patch squares or anything that resembled a traditional quilt. I was up for the challenge and welcomed it with some help from Rachael. Together we explored fabric and came up with some "manly" colors that might appeal to Dylan. Armed with a rotary cutter and a 20" square ruler I began hacking up fabric and sewing it back together in a "devil may care less" manner. The quilt measures 60 x 80 inches and has no border. To quilt it I did wavy lines in the squares.....simple was the key to this quilt. I even put the binding on with a zig zag stitch to keep the quilt from becoming too "quilty looking." The result is an unquilt that delighted Dylan and one that he actually took with him when he moved to Portland. So, I did it! And the best thing about it is that I may actually try it again some day.

5 comments:

chelsey said...

I think that the un-quilt is my favorite!

Unknown said...

Ma, you gotta check out the quilts at the Seattle Art Museum. There's an African American unquilt like this one, but my favorite was a quilt in honor of Sylvia Plath with bumblebees on it.

Linda said...

How long is the exhibit at the Museum?

Anonymous said...

mom- i love your blog.

Cheyenne Satica said...

Mom, I love your blog! I am so impressed by you and your quilts.