Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Beekeeping 101

We checked the hives and both queens found their way to freedom.  Now their work begins for they lay eggs, and lay eggs, and lay eggs....nearly 1,500 each day.  There are two types of bees in a colony; the females, divided into two castes - workers and the queen; and the male bees, or drones.  The most numerous are the sterile females, incapable of laying fertile eggs.  By midsummer, there will be about 40,000 worker bees thanks to the queen bee and her workers!

We checked the hives to locate the queens and we found them!  We also observed what action was taking place and discovered the honeycomb being developed.  I think I saw a larva but, not wanting to disturb the queen, put the frames back in place.

I started a bee journal and am enjoying spending time outdoors, sitting by the hives and watching them do their bee dance at the entrance.The area at the entrance is called the dance floor and scout bees perform dances to tell other bees where nectar, water and pollen sources are located.  I am finding the bees very calming and enjoy learning about their social structure.  The Beekeeper's Handbook by Sammataro and Avitabile is a great resource book for beginning beekeepers.  There is more to come!

1 comment:

meg4bio said...

I hope that your italian bees have great success exchanging tarantella and square dance lessons.

Bees and ants are both such wonderfully intriguing societies. I don't think I would make a good devotee; I'm pretty sure they don't have recess. :)